Foreign Skilled Trades Program

An increasing number of people are applying under the Federal Skilled Trade Program. The Skilled Trades Program is for individuals who want to become Permanent Residents of Canada on being qualified in a skill trade. You can apply if you are currently in Canada or apply from outside of Canada. To be eligible an individual requires a Provincial Trades Person Certification, OR have a valid job offer and a Positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) in support of the job offer.

The Federal Trades Class Program is for workers in the following occupations below:

Maintenance and equipment operation trades;
Supervisors and technical occupations in natural resources, agriculture and related production;
Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
Chefs and cooks, and
Butchers and bakers.

An applicant must demonstrate that they performed the duties outlined in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. The NOC is a system used by the Government of Canada to classify occupations. Occupations are grouped based on the type of work an individual does and the type of job duties.